"Have you considered sending aid to the freedom fighters, the ANC, or any other organization against this oppression, just as you have sent aid to other freedom fighters around the world?"
- Question to President Reagan during February 24 press conference.
"The press helped spread the doctrine that Adolf Hitler propounded in the '30s in Germany. The doctrine there was evil. Perhaps Marxism is evil also. But it's not the press' view to make this judgment."
- Speaking to the Conservative Political Action Conference, February 13.
"And, so we choose Betty Friedan because she had the ability and the sensitivity to articulate the needs of women, which means that she did us all a favor."
- Peter Jennings on ABC's February 19 Person of the Week.
A Week of Daytime Talkshows
Sally Jesse Raphael: People addicted to sex.
Geraldo: People with X-rated pasts.
Donahue: Techniques, attitudes and secrets of being a good lover.
Oprah Winfrey: Rekindling passion in a marriage.
Oprah Winfrey: Satanic worship.
Home: A priest who moonlights as a professional wrestler.
Geraldo: What women really want from men in bed.
- From USA Today.
Oprah Winfrey: Families who interbreed.
- From The New York Times.
"The level of public services was remarkable: free education, medicine and heavily subsidized housing."
- Maria Shriver during tour of Havana conducted by Fidel Castro, Sunday Today, February 28.
"There is, in Cuba, government intrusion into everyone's life, from the moment he is born until the day he dies. The reasoning is that the government wants to better the lives of its citizens and keep them from exploiting or hurting one another....On a sunny day in a park in the old city of Havana it is difficult to see anything that is sinister."
- NBC reporter Ed Rabel on Cuban life, Sunday Today, February 28.
"The government has banned public opinion polls, so it's impossible to tell if a majority of the people blame the Contras or the Sandinistas for the hardship."
- Juan Vasquez reporting from Managua for the CBS Evening News, February 2.
The Same Press Conference?
"Reagan Defends Ethics Of His Administration: 'Confidence' Expressed in Attorney General"
- The Washington Post, February 25.
"Soviets double aid to Managua"
- The Washington Times, same day.
"He's such a delight in terms of the media. Even though he won't win, there's a feeling that he's so good we have to put him on."
- CBS News reporter Bob Faw on Jesse Jackson. Quoted in March Washington Journalism Review.
"When he entered the race nearly a year ago he had the courage to say that as President he would probably have to raise taxes. And he never recovered from his courage."
- Peter Jennings on Babbitt's withdrawal from the race, World News Tonight, February 18.
"North Korea, Cuba worst abusers of human rights"
- The Washington Times, February 11.
"Soviet Rights Improved By 'Glasnost,' U.S. Says: Repression Eased Under Gorbachev Policy"
- The Washington Post, same day.
Admission of the Month
"I am the anti-Christ, beware!"
- Sam Donaldson before an audience at the Conservative Political Action Conference.
- L. Brent Bozell III; Publisher
- Brent H. Baker, Tim Graham; Editors
- Jim Heiser, Richard Marois, Patrick Swan, Dorothy Warner; Media Analysts
- Cynthia Bulman; Administrative Assistant