"I think we're
going to try to impose our agenda on the coverage by dealing with issues and
subjects that we choose to deal with."
- CBS News senior political producer Richard Cohen on how his network will cover the presidential race. Quoted in The Washington Post.
"There's always one
candidate, I guess, whom reporters like. Reporters liked Morris Udall the year
he ran for President. He was witty, he was fun to be with. Reporters like
Bruce Babbitt a lot."
- Reporter Bruce Morton during February 8 CBS News Iowa special.
Rate Is Highest Since 1980"
- New York Times, page D2, January 20, on factory utilization.
"STARTS IN HOUSING
TUMBLE BY 16.2%, WORST IN 3 YEARS"
- Front page lead story, same paper, next day.
"I was close to the
tube last night. I got powder burns, I had to go up and put cold water on my
face. I thought it was a fascinating demonstration, and a reaffirmation of
what an obnoxious fellow Dan Rather is most of the time."
- Alexander Haig on January 26 ABC World News Tonight.
"I'll note that
Vice President Bush declined our invitation to be interviewed on this
- Dan Rather after Bush turned him down for February 8 CBS News Iowa special.
"Rock 'n' roll
forever. Thanks a lot."
- Dan Rather signing off phone call thanking New York hard rock radio DJ for praising his handling of Bush interview.
think the Contras are worthless."
- CBS News producer/reporter Lucy Spiegel.
Sandinistas in Managua"
- Washington Times, lead story, January 11.
- Washington Post, same day: Nothing.
"Arias warn Ortega:
No room for games"
- Washington Times, front page, January 14.
"Costa Rican Asks
Nicaragua, Rebels To Aid Peace Plan"
-Washington Post, same day.
"5 more in
Nicaraguan Opposition Are Arrested by Security Police"
- New York Times, page one, January 20.
State of Emergency: Sandinistas Take Steps to Fulfill Peace Plan"
- Washington Post, same day.
- Tom Braden on CNN's Crossfire, February 5.
"I mean, look,
Teddy Kennedy is not one who is against women in bathing suits, let me assure
- Pat Buchanan responding to Tom Braden's attack on Rupert Murdoch's racy newspapers, on CNN's Crossfire.
"Would you call the New York Post a great newspaper?"
New York Senator Patrick Moynihan: "It's a newspaper founded by Alexander Hamilton. What have you got to say for CBS News?"
- exchange on January 21 CBS This Morning.
Sam Donaldson Insights
"The press is
powerful because it brings you information. I'm not powerful. I don't think
I've ever changed a vote."
- appearing on January 21 Oprah Winfrey Show.
"I tell you this
about Ed Meese. Every time you look around, there is an ethical problem.
Whether he is buying his house, whether he's looking one way or the other, and
he ought to resign."
- This Week with David Brinkley, January 31.
Headline of the Month
- Washington Post, January 25. What more can you say?
- L. Brent
Bozell III; Publisher
- Brent H. Baker, Tim Graham; Editors
- Jim Heiser, Richard Marois, Patrick Swan, Dorothy Warner; Media Analysts
- Cynthia Bulman; Administrative Assistant