Notable Quotables - 08/08/1988
"You're a hero of
- Texas Treasurer Ann Richards on the ABC News star. Quoted by The Washington Times, July 21.
Smear Story of the Week
Dan Rather: "When
asked about orchestrated rumors that Dukakis is hiding something in his
medical history, Mr. Reagan said quote, 'I'm not going to pick on an invalid.'
Later, Mr. Reagan said he was just kidding...CBS News Chief Political
Correspondent Bruce Morton has more about a nasty campaign getting
Morton: "Dan, this is a story about a rumor and how the news media were forced to cover it...LaRouchites are not the only ones pushing the story. Sources told CBS News Bush campaign staffers were urging reporters to look into it. And CBS itself was approached with the story by a member of the Reagan Administration. Former White House aide and now commentator Pat Buchanan is among those who did use it."
- CBS Evening News, August 3.
"Bruce Morton said
tonight on CBS News that it looked like Buchanan and Reagan and all these
others were in some kind of conspiracy. As you know, we learned that little
story last night at about two hours before the show went on. I think Morton,
and CBS and Dan Rather are behaving like surrogates for the Dukakis
- Pat Buchanan on CNN's Crossfire, August 3.
Reagan's remark about Michael Dukakis the beginning of a dirty campaign? Bob
Beckel's analysis tonight at 11 on Eyewitness News Nightcast."
- WUSA-TV, Washington, announcer Mike Lewis, same day.
called Dukakis an invalid yesterday, which in turn resurrected recent rumors
that the Governor has been treated for clinical depression. Rumors reported in
this conservative Sun Myung Moon owned newspaper, The Washington Times....The
key question now is whether the Republicans have deliberately helped keep
these rumors alive, and if so, is this just a preview of how downright dirty
this campaign will get."
- ABC News reporter Joe Bergantino on story first published by The Boston Globe. Good Morning America, August 4.
Smear Story of the Week Before?
Reporter Bruce Morton:
"In Louisville this morning Dukakis sharpened his attack, aiming directly
at President Reagan."
Michael Dukakis: "Well there's an old Greek saying, 'the fish rots from the head first...'"
- CBS Evening News, July 30.
"This is an issue of conscience-which has to be decided by the woman and
the exercise of her beliefs-her conscience, and I think that represents the
feelings of the vast majority of Americans."
Reporter Joe Bergantino: "Just one of several Dukakis positions that helps him with women voters"
- From July 24 ABC World News Sunday story.
- New York Times, July 14.
Higher Interest Rates"
- Wall Street Journal, same day.
"Greenspan Warns of
- Washington Post, same day.
growth, low inflation"
- Baltimore Sun, same day.
- Reprinted from The New Republic
"Jobs growth fuels
fear of recession"
- USA Today, July 11.
Department today fired off a volley of reports that are positive about the
shape of the U.S. economy. Its main forecasting gauge, the Index of Leading
Indicators, showed the sharpest increase in 18 months, by jumping 1.4 percent
in June. Factory orders in June rose five and one half percent, the biggest
increase in 17 years, and sales of new homes in June was up 8.4 percent.
Republicans hail the figures as proof Reaganomics is working, Democrats in
effect argue that the cost to the future is what's important."
- Dan Rather, August 2.
officers can't do much to insure the peace if the warring parties don't stop
shooting....The problem is the mujaheddin still want an unconditional victory
over the communist regime in Kabul when the Soviet troop withdrawal is
completed next year."
- Peter Kent, NBC Nightly News, July 23.
seek bipartisan arms package for Contras"
- The Washington Times, August 2.
Meets Hill Resistance: Wright Sees House Unlikely 'to Resume the War'; Senate
- Washington Post, same day.
are a skillful blend of showmanship and demagoguery."
- Newsweek White House reporter Thomas DeFrank, August 1 issue.
"The further you
get away from Washington, the more you know just how wonderful the American
- Oliver North in same article.
avoided politics, because it seemed to be so complicated. But being here and
listening to everything, I really understand it now. It's like a big agents'
- Family Ties star Justine Bateman on her experience at the Democratic National Convention, August 1 Time.
Quote of the Month
"I don't have to
change my mind. There's no mind to change."
- Gary Hart when asked if he has changed his mind about anything in politics, during interview with WCVB-TV, Boston, on July 19. (Thanks to Micheal Waller, New London N.H.)
- L. Brent
Bozell III; Publisher
- Brent H. Baker, Tim Graham; Editors
- Jim Heiser, Richard Marois, Patrick Swan, Dorothy Warner; Media Analysts
- Cynthia Bulman; Administrative Assistant