Media Research Center
The Nation’s Top Media Watchdog is Expanding and Looking for a Few Good Conservatives
The Media Research Center keeps growing and so do the opportunities. Located in Reston, Virginia, the MRC works to bring political balance to the media, and to restore responsibility to the entertainment industry. The MRC also operates the popular news wire CNSNews.com. Application directions are found below.
Interns work closely with MRC analysts to monitor news programs for liberal media bias. They input details into the News Tracking System and also review assigned print publications. The interns participate in the News Division’s weekly meetings and discuss current news and trends being documented. MRC Interns work in a professional environment to uncover the media’s political agenda. Usually available year-round. For additional information and internship inquiries, please click here to visit our internship section.
Submit your resume with a cover letter and writing samples to Samantha Mathews, Intern Coordinator via fax to 703-683-9736 or email us. Information can also be mailed to 1900 Campus Commons Dr., Suite 600, Reston, VA 20191
News Analysis Division
Currently No Open Positions
Culture and Media Institute
Currently No Open Positions
Business & Media Institute
Researcher/Analyst wanted for conservative media and business group. Monitor TV and print news about business/economics. Research using Nexis, Internet. Write up analyses for publication. Work with writers to produce timely research. Handle video/audio editing. Writing/Journalism exp. a plus. Basic math and statistics useful. Social media skills also nice.
Send cover letter, resume, writing samples to:
Video Content Specialist/Blogger
Produce interesting, witty, topical multimedia blogs to attract engage, entertain, and inform blog readers. Find, aggregate and comment on compelling Web videos, news, OpEds, studies and other content. Position provides opportunity to conduct interviews and help produce parody videos and be creative. Use social media to monitor comments by celebrities, politicians and other newsmakers, as well as to promote blogs and attract readers.
The ideal candidate:
- Is creative, articulate, and aggressive,
- Has strong writing and Web research skills
- Can spot and highlight the “hook” buried in videos, articles, commentaries, transcripts, quotes, studies and other online content,
- Can create accurate, witty, articulate, compelling blogs,
- Can find, capture, edit and post informative, interesting videos,
- Has strong social media skills
- Has an engaging sense of humor,
- Is a politically savvy, conservative new media news consumer,
- Can contribute effective suggestions of ways to increase readership by adding new types of entertaining, informative, topical and pop culture site content,
- Has on-air experience
Send cover letter and resume to: CBannister@mrc.org
Multimedia Reporter (2 openings)
CNSNews.com is accepting resumes for a full-time reporter, comfortable with all aspects of multimedia journalism for our online news service. The candidate is expected to cover Capitol Hill/Congress, as well as related events and persons, turning around a well-written, fact-based, lucid, concise, and well-produced story in one day, for posting online on deadline that day: text with audio and/or video.
The reporter must be eager to ask tough questions of members of Congress and the Executive Branch and report on issues that are of importance to a conservative audience and which the mainstream media often ignore.
Candidate must be very familiar with political issues and basic economics and be able to recognize newsworthy issues as they occur on Capitol Hill and throughout the federal government. Familiarity with FCP video-editing systems, video cameras and equipment a plus. Working accurately and quickly on deadline is vital to the job. If you want to join one of the most exciting and effective online news teams covering Capitol Hill, send your resume and a cover letter to:
Michael Chapman, managing editor
Eric Scheiner, senior video producer
Aspiring journalists learn basic hands-on news reporting skills, with heavy emphasis on balance. Working at CNS enables interns to get "real world" experience in the high-speed atmosphere of a newsroom. Interns for CNS also learn to network with conservative organizations and assist them with getting their news and perspectives reported by CNS.
Submit your resume with a cover letter and writing samples to Samantha Mathews or Kristin Jaroma, Intern Coordinators via fax to 571-357-0099 or email us. Information can also be mailed to 1900 Campus Commons Dr. #600, Reston, VA 20191.
Major Donor & Planned Giving Solicitor
Conservative non-profit media organization based in Reston, VA seeks an experienced Major Donor & Planned Giving Solicitor to manage a portfolio of major donor prospects, along with managing our Planned Giving Program. This important position fosters, develops, and maintains relationships with high-level donors, and continually strategizes to identify, cultivate and solicit prospects capable of making four, five and six figure contributions. As the Planned Giving Coordinator, the Associate leads outreach to donors to educate them on various Planned Giving options, along with leading training and collaboration among his/her Solicitor colleagues.
Responsibilities include: Nationwide travel up to 50% for donor solicitation, daily telephone calls to prospects, as-needed prospect research, maintaining accurate donor information through extensive use of Raiser’s Edge, and collaboration with support staff on mail merges, thank you letter distribution and travel requirements. Additionally, attendance of Team meetings and on-going coordination among Solicitor colleagues to ensure shared responsibility of meeting department budget is a must.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with 3+ years of proven success in managing and growing a Major Donor portfolio, along with demonstrated knowledge and success in targeted Planned Giving programs within a non-profit environment. Excellent written, oral and inter-personal skills a must with an advanced knowledge of Raiser’s Edge software. Understanding of and philosophical connection to the Conservative Movement is preferred.
About Us: The mission of the MRC is to identify and expose unbalanced new reporting, and to create a media culture where truth and liberty flourish in America. Leaders of America's conservative movement have long believed that within the national news media a strident liberal bias existed that influenced the public's understanding of critical issues.
For consideration please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled; no phone calls please. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Web Graphic Designer
The graphic designer is the in-house resource responsible for helping to maintain consistency in branding, collateral design and division campaigns that require a visual message to accompany other promotional efforts. The web graphic designer reports directly to the Chief Marketing Officer and works across the organization to support branding and design needs with the most impactful and effective way to get its message across using typography, color, illustration, animation, flash, photography and various print and electronic layout techniques.
- Develop visual marketing messages and collateral materials in support of the overall organization marketing plan, including development of all required logos and brand treatments
- Work on a project-by-project basis to help each division develop their marketing and communications materials for distribution internally and externally
- Develop print, electronic, and web design for campaigns as directed (examples: print ads, internal and external banner ads, brochures and report covers, HTML emails, HTML/CSS, Flash)
- Manage all internal ad space on websites, rotating ads as directed
- Image collection, research on image files and collection of non-licensed images for use in all collateral materials. Build and maintain an image library as a resource for Development and Marketing
- Primary contact for the reordering of existing and new graphic materials supporting all divisions
- Coordinate participation in 1-2 trade shows per year to include: booth maintenance, signage, ads/promotional materials, display items/giveaways, and scheduling staff to man the booth
- Work directly with printers to negotiate quotes and ensure that jobs are completed on time and correctly
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver and Flash
- Experience with HTML/CSS
- Experience with Drupal, AfterEffects a plus
- B.A. in Art with a focus in Graphic Design
- 2 years graphic design experience
- 1 year of web design using CSS with HTML email design experience
To apply: Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com (Scooter Schaefer)
* For full-time positions: Excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a cover letter and resume to:
David Martin, Executive Director
Media Research Center
1900 Campus Commons, Reston, VA 20191
or Fax (571) 357-0099